You are here
- About Switching Electricity
- Important Questions to Ask Your Supplier
Questions to Ask Electric Suppliers
As you shop for electricity, here is a list of important questions to ask competing suppliers:
- Is the supplier licensed by the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PA PUC)?
- What is the EDCs price to compare and how long is that price effective?
- Are all taxes included in the supplier's price?
- What is the price per kilowatt hour (kWh)? Is the price fixed, variable or does it depend on time of day or usage?
- Is there a limit to how high or low the variable rate can go?
- Are there any built-in-price increases or decreases?
- Is there an introductory rate and how long does it last?
- If the EGS offers an introductory rate, what will the price be at the end of the introductory period? Will they be able to provide the rate in advance of the service being used?
- Does the supplier offer a choice of energy sources, such as renewable energy?
- Can the EGS provide historic pricing information? (for example: their average price over the last year)
- If my rate changes, how does it change?
- Will the EGS provide their rate at the beginning of the month or in advance of the service being used?
- What is the length of the agreement? Can your price change in that time? If so, when can it change and how will you be notified?
- Will I receive a notice before my contract expires? What happens when my contract expires?
- Is there a cancellation fee or any penalty for switching suppliers before my contract expires?
- Is there a switching fee to change suppliers?
- What steps must I take to switch suppliers? The Switching Process
- Is there a bonus or any customer incentives for signing up?
- Are there any special add-on services?
- Who provides billing and will I receive one or two bills?
- Does the supplier offer a budget billing plan?
- Will I still get service from the supplier if I have an outstanding balance or bad payment history?
- Do I need a special meter? And is there a special charge for that meter?